Friday, August 21, 2009

Non-verbal Communication


As some of you know Spike isn't really talking, or saying any words yet. Surprisingly, I am not obsessing over this (sometimes my teacher brain goes into overdrive), but am enjoying the other ways in which he communicates with us.


There is no doubt in my mind that Spike understands what is being said. He has mastered the art of selective hearing. For example, when I say that we need to wash our hands before dinner, he races to the bathroom and climbs onto the stepstool. (Anytime food is mentioned you can be sure he'll be nearby in a hurry.) But when I ask him to pick up the ball/toy/bowl that he just threw across the room, he acts as if he never heard me. Once, I casually mentioned (hinted) to Andy that we needed to vaccuum. A few minutes later we heard our little guy trying to get into the closet. When I went over and opened the door, he tried to pull out the vaccuum!


Spike's method of talking to us is a series of screeches and shrieks. It's actually pretty funny, unless you're in a restaurant and the food is taking too long...He loves to wave, point, clap etc. His favorite thing to do, however, is shake his head no. And he has degrees of disapproval. A small head shake means "No thank you." A firm head shake means, "No way." And then he has the full on twist, where his whole head and body turn from side to side. That usually means, "Absolutely NOT!"


So for now, we're enjoying the hilarity as he continues to express himself.

No comments: