Monday, October 20, 2008

Korean Cultural Event

Yesterday our adoption agency had a Korean Cultural Event. There were visitors from Eastern Social Welfare Society (the adoption agency in Korea) visiting, and a party was thrown in their honor. We took Monkey with us, and had a great time. There was traditional Korean dancing, and an impressive tae kwon do demonstration. Monkey LOVED it! He spent the rest of yesterday running around our house yelling "Hi Yah!" I'm glad he enjoyed it because I recently found a martial arts studio in our area, and was planning to enroll both him and Spike once they are old enough.

There were also foster mothers from Korea there. They were able to meet with some of the families of children they had cared for. They were all given a private spot to talk, and I'm sure it was a deeply emotional experience for all.

I am so thankful that we attended this event. It gave me a small glimpse into what Spike's culture is like, and it was amazing to see all of the healthy, happy children running around the party. We also got to meet some of our online friends in person. It was a unique experience, because although we know so much about each other's lives, we had never held a conversation! It was great to finally do that!

6 comments:

JoJo said...

It was so fun to finally meet! Looks like Monkey might be teaching a thing or 2 to Spike about tae kwon do.

Unknown said...

It was great to meet you and your husband and that never-sit-still cute boy of yours! Joanna sent me your blog with a picture of Spike on it. What a cutie with that shock of black hair sticking up!

Best of luck to you.

Rose Bolas

Rach@In His Hands said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful day!!

Jen said...

Glad you had a great day!

Yvonne and Eric said...

So great to meet you Sat! Monkey is adorable and I can't wait until Spike is home in your arms! If you have questions about the process at the end (yay, doesn't that sound great?!), please feel free to email me.

Yvonne

Cori said...

Kara,

I am sure we were sitting right next to each other at last Saturday's event. My little one was the one who freaked out as soon as the taekwondo started! I do recall your little blond cutie playing around in that little hallway with us! I'm sorry that we weren't able to chat! Hopefully we will meet again! Good luck with the wait for Spike!!